You might have a hubby like Ebony that’s 320 with a football build. Notorious meat eater. Seriously, a man that can eat a 12-piece bucket of chicken without batting an eye. Ebony’s husband shocked her when he called one day and asked to take the vegan journey with him. Ebony thought, the journey would be awesome!
Ebony said, “I was eating a whole pot of neck bones. A turkey only has one neck! How many turkey’s had to die in order for me to eat this?” After the initial laughter and shock. she relented to try this new lifestyle change with him. As soon as her hubby got home they went to the grocery store, and he led her through the produce section. It was definitely a new experience to spend so much on food and get no meat, but her hubby had a plan. Their plant based diet initiation was vegan spaghetti, and Ebony was so kind as to share the recipe with us.
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1/2 white onion, diced
• 3 cloves of garlic, minced
• 1 medium courgette, zucchini, diced
• 1/2 aubergine, eggplant, diced
• 1 red pepper, diced
• 400 g tin of chopped tomatoes
• 480 ml boiled water
• 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
• 150 g dried gluten-free spaghetti, (I used Explore Cuisine Chickpea Spaghetti)
• 1 tbsp chopped basil
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• 2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes, (Optional – for a cheesy taste)
1. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan. Add the onions, garlic, courgette, aubergine and peppers. Cook for a few minutes on a high heat until lightly browned.
2. Add the chopped tomatoes, water, vinegar and spaghetti. Bring to a boil then simmer for 10 minutes until the pasta is cooked and the sauce has thickened.
3. Stir in the chopped basil and add salt and pepper, to taste. Add the nutritional yeast, if using.
4. Serve and enjoy