North Carolina reported 1,329 new coronavirus cases Sunday. In total, 72,983 people have tested positive for COVID-19 in North Carolina. This marks the 12th day in a row the state has reported a single-day increase of more than 1,000 cases. It’s not known how many of these cases are active.
The state also announced one more death, bringing the total across the state to 1,396. There are 949 people currently hospitalized, four more than were reported on Saturday. By Saturday, 1,036,838 tests had been completed in the state. On June 24, Cooper announced that residents would be required to wear face masks in public and that the state’s Phase 2 will continue for three more weeks, as coronavirus cases continue to rise at an alarming rate.
People must wear face coverings when in public places, indoors or outdoors, where physical distancing of 6 feet from other people who aren’t in the same household or residence isn’t possible. This Executive Order became effective at 5 p.m. on Friday, June 26. The full executive order can be found here.
Over the weekend, Gov. Cooper said he talked to United States Vice President Mike Pence about the state’s concerning numbers. The governor said he asked VP Pence to help with increasing NC’s testing capabilities, especially in counties with a sharp increase in coronavirus cases. Counties that are particularly concerning and experiencing the highest growth include Alamance, Duplin, Durham, Forsyth, Guilford, Johnston, Lee, Mecklenburg, and Wake.