Christmas Lights To Blame For North Carolina House Fire
Christmas lights are gorgeous and an important part of the ambiance of the holiday season. It’s easy to not think about them once they are up as well. Just set the timer and they go on and off daily. But they can be a little dangerous as well. Christmas lights are to blame now as A family in Huntersville has now lost almost everything due to a fire.
The Huntersville Fire Department responded to the fire early Wednesday morning. According to their Facebook post the 2 story home is a loss as well as 3 vehicles. The fire marshall has since come out and said they believe Christmas lights are at fault for the fire. WSOC-TV reported that a member of the family got up to use the bathroom and spotted the fire, before they could even get downstairs a window fell in, luckily they were able to escape through the garage.
Since the fire began on the outside of the home rather than inside the smoke detectors didn’t catch it immediately. That bathroom trip very likely saved the family’s lives. Four motorcycles were saved from the garage as well as another item. It’s a familiar story in situations like this one – a bible that was a recently received gift also survived the blaze. The community is already rallying around the family with people donating clothes and other items to help out. The family is staying with relatives while they figure out their plans.
Something to keep in mind when you put up those holiday lights. While we don’t know this situation could have been avoided be sure to check for any visible damage to lights before you pack them away this holiday season.
View the full WSOC-TV report here